Sign In Forgot Password

About

 

Congregation Sons of Israel is well known for its warm, welcoming and inclusive services as a rotation of lay leaders assist in conducting our services. We are pleased to provide two daily minyans, seven days a week. Ours is the only member owned shul in the area that maintains a daily morning and evening minyan.

Founded as an Orthodox synagogue, in Englishtown, NJ in 1917 by families of farmers and small business owners who had immigrated from Russia, Poland, and other points in central Europe, our charter requires the shul to hire a rabbi with Orthodox semicha.

In the mid-1960s synagogue leaders noted a need for expanded facilities, and a generous donation to the shul of land at Gordons Corner Road, by Kevork Hovnanian and Company building company, helped make the relocation a reality. The new shul building was formally dedicated in October 1969.

At some point in those years of transition, the shul leaders made a consequential change: they decided to remove the Shul’s mechitza but continued to operate as an Orthodox synagogue to this day. Accommodations are always made for congregants wishing to sit separately; the front row remained reserved for separate seating and our
Shul always employed a portable folding Mechitzah to be utilized for certain services, or simchas.  On November 4, 2021, the members voted to reinstate the mechitza as of March 5, 2022.

Join our free mailing list to get weekly updates delivered right into your Inbox!

Sun, December 4 2022 10 Kislev 5783